Re: High-level users?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: High-level users?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:17:06 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernardo Barros" <address@hidden>
To: "Brent Annable" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 5:08 PM

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Brent Annable <address@hidden> wrote:
I'd like to add that I think that Lilypond's main strength is as a
typesetting/publishing programme. For composing and arranging, I find it's better to have a page of blank manuscript in front of you that you can 'fill in', something that Lilypond's text-input paradigm doesn't really allow for.
But once all the information is there, making changes is relatively easy,
and the printed results are, of course, sublime.

With the development of MuseScore (that is a similar program to
Sibelius  with less features at this time) having the lilypond
(redable) file export feature, this could encompass both situations of
having a blank score and the best typestting.

Perhaps lilypons and musecore could develop even closer and closer
from now on, that would just make Sibelius pointless.

BTW, musecore got 2 million downloads already

I was one, a couple of days ago. I've been using it to convert Capella files to MusicXML. I find the user interface a bit weird, but it looks nice and professional.

(It means my music production route is Capella download -> Musescore -> MusicXML -> mxml2nwcc -> Noteworthy -> nwctxt -> nwctxt2ly -> lilypond -> pdf)

--
Phil Holmes