Re: Manual page breaks

From: James Worlton
Subject: Re: Manual page breaks
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:14:40 -0500

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Ed Gordijn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I am working on a piece with three movements. I organized my score in
> different files, for the tiny-example let's say two. The fist file is
> instrument.ly and the second part.lyi. I have different instruments and
> therefore multiple instrument.ly files but I want to use just a single
> part.lyi. So far nothing special. But I can't find a way to insert
> pagebreaks between the movements in my instrument.ly. I don't want fixed
> page breaks in part.lyi because of the differences in length of the
> instrument scores.
>
> In the tiny example I tried to get Movement I on the first page and Movement
> II and III together on a second page. But the \pageBreak is ignored.
>
> How does this work?
>
> Greetings, Ed
>

> %%% Tiny example %%%
>
> \version "2.15.10"
>
> % instrument.ly
> mvtI   = { c'4 c' c' c' \pageBreak }
> mvtII  = { d'4 d' d' d' }
> mvtIII = { e'4 e' e' e' }
>

> % part.lyi (identical for all instruments)
> \score {
>    \new Staff { \mvtI }
>    \header { piece = "Movement I"}
> }
>
> \score {
>    \new Staff { \mvtII }
>    \header { piece = "Movement II"}
> }
>
> \score {
>    \new Staff { \mvtIII }
>    \header { piece = "Movement III"}
> }

Your code worked like your desired outcome: mvt. I on one page, mvt.
II & III on the second page. I compiled it with 2.14.2. Maybe it broke
in 2.15, but I can't test that one.

You could try moving the \pageBreak out of the movement definition and
put it after the first \score block. That is allowed and should also
work.

James Worlton