Re: Default beaming for 3/4

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Default beaming for 3/4
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:14:44 +0200

On 26 Aug 2011, at 13:07, Nick Payne wrote:

> According to Gould (p.153, about half way down the page), the Lilypond
> default beaming for 3/4 is incorrect in the following example; it should be
> beamed as in the second bar:
>
> \version "2.14.2"
>
> \relative c' {
>    \time 3/4
>    c4. c8 c c
>    c4. c8 c[ c]
> }

The first measure is called "in three", that is, beams are broken, so as to
indicate beats. The second is called "in one"; engraved as though there are no
beats. I am told Finale has a feature, whereby one can choose "in one" at will.
(Beethoven's 5th theme is normally played in 1, though written in 2.)

Now it seems that preferences differ: one prefers "in three" in general, but
"in one" for some cases. Perhaps because it is easier to draw by hand.

So now there is a legacy, whereby one may prefer engraving that does not
strictly emphasize beat and sub-beat structure, even though that would be
simplest for an automatic beaming feature.

Hans