Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: MusicXML exporter (was Re: Lilypond lobbying?)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 00:01:49 +0200

Am Wednesday, 24. August 2011, 23:33:02 schrieb Michael Ellis:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It's only about an hour of work (see below) to convert a simple and
> > prepared .ly score to musicxml, see below.
>
> That sounds encouraging.  So how far away are we from being able to handle
> a more realistic score, say a string quartet or a 4-part choral score with
> with lyrics and piano reduction?

I don't think it's that easy, in particular if you want to get output that you
can send to a publisher without being thrown out of the office...

Jan, you can take a look at the ~100 MusicXML files in
input/regression/musicxml/ and at the corresponding output of musicxml2ly.

The current approach is to modify the source file to add a \convertToMusicXML
(or some similarly named function) to the music expression that you want to
convert.
However, I see several problems with this approach, which I might discuss
separately. In short, the only way to make it extendable for the future (so
that one day we can also export the layout) is to handle (MusicXML) export
similar to MIDI generation, namely via translators that collect all events and
all settings as they appear in the score.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886