brackets for coloration

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: brackets for coloration
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 11:21:58 -0400

When I transcribe facsimiles that use "colored" notes (they look like a
whole note or a breve, but they're filled in), I've been transcribing my
guess at how the notes translate into modern notation, and footnoting
the fact that they're colored.

A friend recently pointed out that there's a convention in some modern
editions that you use a bracket begin and end before and after the
colored notes, but don't extend the bracket over the notes.

So it looks similar to an ligature bracket, but doesn't have the line
between the begin and the end.

I just did a little bit of searching the lilypond documentation, and
didn't see an obvious example of how to do this.  Can someone provide
one?

Thanks,
--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

I’m at the very peak of my decline.

Leonard Bernstein