Re: ossia with signatures where needed

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: ossia with signatures where needed
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 11:54:43 -0400

At Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:45:23 +0100,
Phil Holmes wrote:
> Could you post a pdf or png of the "floating" furniture?

Even better: an example you can compile, which I was working on just before
getting your e-mail... not exactly a tiny example, but I needed to force the
example to cross a system boundary.

What I get: Two bars in the first system. The ossia staff (correctly) hides the
staff lines in the first bar, but displays the clef and time signature at the
system's left boundary -- free-floating, visually anchored to nothing.
Everything else is fine.

What I want: Ideally, the "free-floating" clef and time signature should
display just left of the bar line to m2 (as if there were a clef and meter
change in that bar). It would be really nice to have the staff lines extend
backward just enough to cover that space.

Un-comment these lines --

%%%    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
%%%    \override Clef #'transparent = ##t

-- and the free-floating symbols disappear, but the clef and time signatures
disappear from the end of the first system and all of the second system, where
they are needed.

Or, we could back up a couple of steps and I could ask, what's the orthodox way
to notate this sort of thing? Maybe the standard engravers' reference texts
have another, better idea? I'm not attached to this specific notation strategy
-- just looking for something that will be clear and not obscure the meter
changes.

James

\version "2.14.1"
\include "english.ly"

outline = {
  \time 4/4 s1*2
  \time 3/4 s2.
  \time 4/4 s1*2
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff = "ossia" \with {
%%%    \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
%%%    \override Clef #'transparent = ##t
      fontSize = #-3
      \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
      \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep -3)
    } {
      \stopStaff \outline
    }
    \new Staff <<