Re: ossia with signatures where needed

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: ossia with signatures where needed
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:45:23 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Harkins" <address@hidden>
To: "lily-users" <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:52 AM
Subject: ossia with signatures where needed

Is it possible to create an ossia staff context where clefs and time signatures are displayed only when the staff is visible?

I'm following the model of the 3rd example under "Ossia staves" in the notation reference -- creating a staff named "ossia" and then using \context Staff="ossia" { \startStaff ... \stopStaff } where it should be visible. This is fine as long as I...

     \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
     \remove "Key_engraver"
     \override Clef #'transparent = ##t

But then, clefs, time signatures and keys will never be displayed. I have an ossia that crosses a couple of time signatures, and it looks funny that the time signatures are absent. But if I remove those lines from the ossia staff's \with block then I get a free-floating clef, time signature and key signature -- without staff lines -- above the "real" staff.

I'm sure it must be possible -- it just eludes me in the documentation tonight.

Thanks,
James

%%% For reference, the file layout goes something like this (omitting some fine print):

\outline {
... meter changes and spacer rests...
}

\score {
 \new StaffGroup \with {
   \override SpanBar #'glyph-name = #":"
 }
 <<
   \set StaffGroup.systemStartDelimiter = #'SystemStartBar
   \new Staff = "ossia" \with {
     \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
     \remove "Key_engraver"
     \override Clef #'transparent = ##t
     fontSize = #-3
     \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
     \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep -3)
   } {
     \stopStaff \outline
   }
   \new Staff <<
     \outline
     {
... whole bunch of notes...
<<
  {
... notes, ossia goes above this...
  }
  \context Staff="ossia" {
    \startStaff
    \relative c'' {
      d8^"accented note rhythm" b8 r16 [ d8 b16 ] r8 d \noBeam b d
      r8 b d [ r16 b ] r16 d16 r8
      b8. d b d b8 r8
    }
    \stopStaff
  }

... a lot more notes...
     }

 \layout {
   \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
   \context {
     \Score
     \remove "System_start_delimiter_engraver"

James,

Could you post a pdf or png of the "floating" furniture?

Thanks.

--
Phil Holmes