Re: More vertical spacing confusion

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: More vertical spacing confusion
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 14:36:14 +0200

Joe Neeman <address@hidden> writes:

>> So I have several questions:
>>
>>  - Is the behaviour I am experiencing (a system spilling over onto a
>>    second page) correct or a bug?  If correct, what's the best way to
>>    avoid the spillage?
>
> \paper {
>   ragged-last-bottom = ##f
> }
>
> By default, ragged-last-bottom is ##t, so lilypond has no incentive to
> avoid that dangling system on page 2.

I don't understand this "so".

The following should still be penalized since they are deficiencies even
on a ragged bottom:

a) a page which is considerably less full than the previous page
b) every page break, and most certainly inside of a system, should carry
   a penalty, giving Lilypond some incentive to compress systems iff it
   helps to avoid using more pages than necessary.

--
David Kastrup