Re: lyrics between staves & repeats

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: lyrics between staves & repeats
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 00:14:02 +0200

On 30 July 2011 20:59, ehzone <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm trying to typeset music and lyrics but I'm having troubles and I
> don't know what to try next.  At one point in the piece a few measures
> are repeated but with different lyrics.  I have managed to get the
> first set of lyrics to print between the staves but the second set of
> lyrics appears under both staves.  I want both sets of lyrics between
> the staves.  I've tried to typeset it but can't get the 2nd verse to
> appear between the staves.   What I tried is attached below (I
> stripped away everything that I think is irrelevant but it's still
> pretty long).

I would suggest to name your first Lyrics context and then use
"alignBelowContext" for your second lyrics.
Also in your current code you do not align your second lyrics on the
melody and in consequence each syllable is spaced (and always will)
every quarter note.  You can align it on the melody by using \lyricsto
like for your first Lyrics context.

%%%% Snippet

\version "2.12.3"

global = {
   \key c \major
   \time 4/4
}

\parallelMusic #'( voiceA voiceB ) {
 a4 a a a   b b b b |
 a1         b1      |
 \repeat volta 2 {c4 c c c}   d d d d |
 c1         d1      |

}

% technique suggested in notation reference, 'ref
words = \lyricmode {
 eh eh eh eh | bee bee bee bee |
 << { sea sea sea sea }
   \new Lyrics = "lyricsSecond" \with {
     % XS: use alignBelowContext,
     % do not forget to name your first Lyrics context
     alignBelowContext = "lyricsFirst"
   }  % to align on the melody, use \lyricsto
   % \lyricsto "first"
   { mi  mi  mi  mi }
 >> | d d d d
}

\paper {
 #(set-paper-size "letter")
}

\score {
 % create a new piano staff that accepts lyrics between the two staves
 \new PianoStaff \with { \accepts "Lyrics" }
 <<
   %  define the upper, or treble, staff
   \new Staff = upper
       {  \global
          % the voice will be created explicitly in order to map the lyrics
          \new Voice="first"  { \voiceOne \relative c'' \voiceA}
       }
   % attach the lyrics to the the voice named "first"
   % XS: name your first Lyrics context
   \new Lyrics = "lyricsFirst" \lyricsto "first" \words

   % create the lower, or bass, staff
   \new Staff = lower
       {
          \global \clef bass
          % implicitly create the voices since nothing special has
          % to be done with them
          \relative c  \voiceB
       }

 \layout { }