Re: Ragged right for contents but not staff?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Ragged right for contents but not staff?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:47:47 -0500

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Matthew Collett <address@hidden> wrote:

On 11/07/2011, at 2:51 pm, David Nalesnik wrote:

>> Is there any straightforward way to stop the music at its natural length, but have empty staff lines stretch the full width?
>>
> You could override the width of the staff.

Thank you, that does work, and is certainly an improvement on my current method.  Now I just need to figure out how to calculate the desired width, given the paper size and the staff size.  (I think I know what calculation needs to be done; the question is just whether my Scheme is up to automating it.)

Hi, Matthew --

This seems to do the trick:
\version "2.14.1"

\paper {
  ragged-right = ##t
}

\relative c' {
  \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'width = #(lambda (grob)
    (ly:output-def-lookup (ly:grob-layout grob) 'line-width))
  \repeat unfold 10 { c d e f }
  \bar "||"
}

Best wishes,