markup for partial measures

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: markup for partial measures
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:57:38 +0200

Greetings again,

since I mostly typeset folk songs, I need a lot of \partial measures (e.g. at the end or at repeats).

I can't understand why LilyPond since 2.13.xx throws warnings that \partial is only allowed at the beginning of a score.

The manual says, I should use a monster like "\set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -4)" instead of a simple "\partial 4". It works anyway, I didn't experience cases where it didn't, but I’d like to avoid those warnings.

Can someone explain why this was changed? (And I really would like to continue using \partial or some other simple command!)

BTW: Some songbooks use partial measures at every start and end of a line, if the song starts with an upbeat. E.g. with a 1/4 upbeat in a 4/4 time, every line ends with a 3/4 partial and the next starts with a 1/4 partial. Some notation programs are able to do that automatically - IIRC I saw it with Capella. Is that possible with LilyPond without manually inserting \breaks and \partials?

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm