Re: Slurs across system breaks are not good

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Slurs across system breaks are not good
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:42:36 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "MusFelix" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 1:21 PM
Subject: Slurs across system breaks are not good

I see that there are some older messages complaining about the way Lilypond
handles slurs going across system breaks.  I thought I would add my voice,
since this is a very common thing occurrence, and the fact that it is
handled so poorly while other less common issues are handled well is rather
shabby.

My main complaints are two:

1. The slur BEFORE the break should not have such a steep slope. If a the
slur goes from a C to the same C , the slur should be horizontal.  And if
the slur goes to a higher or lower note, the slope should _slightly_
indicate this.  As of right now, it droops down in a meaningless fashion.

2.  The slur AFTER the break should not begin after the clef but after the
key signature (if there is one).  It too should only slightly indicate the
direction (no weird sloping), and be more or less horizontal.

Does this not bother anyone else?  Can't this be fixed?

A number of issues have been raised with respect to slurs - you can see them yourself if you follow this link:

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=slur

If you think the issue you find problematic is not there, please feel free to create a tiny example that demonstrates it and submit it to the bugs list. Further guidance is here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/bug-reports.html

--
Phil Holmes