RE: Placing dynamics above above-staff lyrics

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Placing dynamics above above-staff lyrics
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 02:41:51 +0000

Connor,
From: address@hidden address@hidden on behalf of Connor Harris address@hidden
Sent: 24 June 2011 03:17
To: address@hidden
Subject: Placing dynamics above above-staff lyrics

>Not top-posting.

Hi, all,

Please forgive me for asking what might be a "newbie" question; I haven't quite
grasped the inner workings of Lilypond. I'm typesetting a work for eight-part
chorus on four staves, two voices on each staff, using the setup provided by the
Frescobaldi score wizard. The works are mostly monophonic (i.e. on each staff,
the voices have the same rhythm), with some two-staff polyphony with lyrics
above and below the staves.

When the top voice has dynamic markings, though, Lilypond places the lyrics
above the dynamics. The results are suboptimal, with large amounts of space
between the lyrics and dynamics. I want to be able to position dynamics above
lyrics to leave less space between the notes and the lyrics. I have looked for
existing solutions in the mailing list archive and have tried several spacing
tweaks, without success. Here's a small (admittedly somewhat contrived and
pathological) file to illustrate what I'm talking about:

%%begin snippet
\version "2.12.3"

sopranoOne = \relative c''' {
  s1 c4^\f c,2 c4 c c8 c c2
}

sopranoTwo = \relative c' {
  \oneVoice
  c4^\p c c8 c c4
  \voiceTwo
  c2 c4 c c c c2
}

sopranoOneVerse = \lyricmode {
  % Lyrics follow here.
  Lyr -- ics should be low -- er down!
}

sopranoTwoVerse = \lyricmode {
  % Lyrics follow here.
  This is u -- ni -- son. This is po -- ly -- pho -- ny.
}

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff = "ss" \with {
      instrumentName = \markup \center-column { "Soprano I" "Soprano II" }
    } <<
      \new Voice = "soprano1" { \voiceOne \sopranoOne }
      \new Voice = "soprano2" { \voiceTwo \sopranoTwo }

    \new Lyrics \with {
      alignAboveContext = "ss"
    } \lyricsto "soprano1" \sopranoOneVerse
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano2" \sopranoTwoVerse

}
%%end snippet

Based on my (vague) knowledge of how contexts work, I would be unsurprised if
the workaround is complicated or nonexistent, but my limited knowledge of
Lilypond internals keeps me from trying to write one myself. Does anyone know
how this could be worked around?

Not quite what you were looking for but...

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=232

I don't have much experience with Lyric setting, but I hope this might be
useful.

James

PS we now have 2.14.1 out which has improved spacing generally. I strongly
recommend you try this new version.