RE: What do these warnings mean and why are they occurring?

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: What do these warnings mean and why are they occurring?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 19:13:32 +0000

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Patrick Karl
)Sent: 17 June 2011 19:57
)To: address@hidden
)
)I have a LilyPond file, Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed.ly,
)which emits the following log file when compiled:
)
)> Pats-Mac-Pro:test_articulate pat$ lilypond $f GNU LilyPond 2.14.0
)> Processing `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed.ly'
)> Parsing...
)> Interpreting music...
)> Interpreting music...
)> Interpreting music...
)> Interpreting music...
)> Interpreting music...
)> Interpreting music...
)> warning: MIDI channel wrapped around
)> warning: remapping modulo 16
)> warning: MIDI channel wrapped around
)> warning: remapping modulo 16
)> warning: MIDI channel wrapped around
)> warning: remapping modulo 16
)> MIDI output to `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed.midi'...
)> MIDI output to `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed-
)1.midi'...
)> MIDI output to `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed-
)2.midi'...
)> MIDI output to `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed-
)3.midi'...
)> MIDI output to `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed-
)4.midi'...
)> MIDI output to `Sonata_Op6No10_atb_TB_100.ly-preprocessed-
)5.midi'...
)> success: Compilation successfully completed
)
)This is Corelli's trio sonata Opus 6 No 10.  It has six movements, each of
)which is in their own score block in this file.  I use Peter Chubb's articulate
)facility in order to generate better midi files.
)
)As I read the log file, the problem is with the sixth movement.  If I
)comment the first five score blocks out, the above warnings do not occur.
)I have compared the two resulting midi files for the sixth movement and
)they are identical.  However, I have several dozen similar files, and I don't
)want to have to do that kind of investigation each time one of them gets
)recompiled.
)
)From what I noted in the previous paragraph, it would appear that there is
)some initialization with respect to midi file generation that needs to be
)done whenever a new score block is encountered.  Does anyone agree
)with this?
)
)In general, what is the proper way to get more information about the
)various error messages and warnings that appear in the log file?  To my
)knowledge, there isn't any comprehensive documentation of these
)messages.  Or?
)
)I was using a previous version of the articulate script under LilyPond
)2.12.3.  These warnings did not occur there.
)
)
-------
[James' reply:]