RE: Can you make MultiMeasureRests ignore spaces?

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: Can you make MultiMeasureRests ignore spaces?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:58:18 +0000

Hello
From: Steven Weber address@hidden
Sent: 14 June 2011 21:01
To: James Lowe; address@hidden

------------------

From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of
Steven Weber
Sent: 11 June 2011 22:35
To: address@hidden
Subject: Can you make MultiMeasureRests ignore spaces?

I'm trying to separate my layout from my notes - what I'd like to have is
something like:

Notes =
{
                R1*4/4*4 |
}

Layout =
{
                s1*4/4*1 |
                s1*4/4*1 |
                s1*4/4*1 |
                s1*4/4*1 |
}

\score
{
                \new Staff
                <<
      \compressFullBarRests
                                \Notes
                                \Layout

}

However, when I have the layout per measure, the MultiMeasureRest doesn't
get compressed.  It's easy to solve by just doing s1*4/4*4, but I'd like to
leave the layout in individual measures if possible.  Any suggestions?

-----------------------

[James' reply:] Put the \compressFullBarRests inside the music variable

Notes = {
            \compressFullBarRests
              R1*4/4*4
}

etc

James

-----------------------

Yup, I've tried that; it doesn't work.  I still get 4 bars of rests instead
of 1 multi-measure rest regardless of where I put the \compressFullBarRests.

------------------------

[James reply:] Yes sorry I didn't notice. It will work if you use one instance
s1*4/4*4 instead of 4 instances of s1*4/4*1

So you want to have 4 bars of simultaneous music (polyphony) where the top
voice is a multimeasure rest and the bottom voice is 4 bars?

I don't really know what you are trying to achieve here.

Even if explicitly state new staves

                <<
 \new Staff   \Notes
 \new Staff   \Layout

You get 4 bars or music one with 4 R1 rests and the other with 4 of blank music.

There is no musical reason you'd use 'spacer' rests in this context except to
show this problem - which is seems to be a nonsense (no offence intended)
example. The idea is that a measure shows the musics moment, the fact you use a
single space reset 4 times is the same as using a single crotchet note.

For instance what would you expect if you replaced s1 with c1 in your example?

Perhaps it is better to understand what you want to achieve using a real world
example.

James