On creating a new all-encompassing drum mode

From: Mike J. Bell
Subject: On creating a new all-encompassing drum mode
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 07:19:27 -0400

I'm interested in making a custom drum mode that more accurately reflects the rules in Weinberg's Guide To Standardized Drumset Notation.  Some of the pieces seem to be straightforward, others not so much.  I made an example file that was as close as I could get it, but there are a number of problems with my approach.  In particular, one notehead uses custom postscript; two others use standard lilypond noteheads that aren't quite right; and there are other expressive marks or articulations that aren't 100%.  So not only am I not getting exactly the output I want, it's also moderately difficult to enter the notes themselves in some cases.

Has anyone already looked into updating lilypond's drum features to be compliant with GSDN?  If not, is there anyone out there that's put extensive time/effort into customizing their drum modes that would be willing to share their work so I might see best (or better!) practices on how to approach this?

I could also post my example file, but it's a little big (3.8k, 97 lines) and I'm not sure if it's kosher to just include it.

Thanks in advance...

--
Mike J. Bell on gmail