Re: effect of \transposition on \quoteDuring

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: effect of \transposition on \quoteDuring
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 20:12:25 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Scott <waterhorse <at> ultrasw.com> writes:

> Why does the presence of \transposition change the effects of the
> following pairs of lines?  Or how do I get the results I want when I add
> the desired \transposition command?

> notesA = \relative c'' {
>    \transposition c'
>    c1 d e f g
> }
> \addQuote "inA" \notesA
> \addQuote "inAd" \transpose c c, \notesA

The \transpose operation changes *all* the pitches in \notesA, including the c'
that tells LilyPond what the instrument \transposition is.

(\transpose really should not change this pitch, and there is a bug listed
about
this. http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=754)

The effect is that \transpose will change the written pitches, but leave the
sounding pitches the same.  Quotes with \quoteDuring use the sounding pitches.

I do not know a way to do what you want with \quoteDuring.  (I just use
variables to hold short motives instead.)  A similar issue must have been
handled to make the function \transposedCueDuring, so that might serve as a
model if any Scheme programmer (as many users seem to be) wants to find a
solution.