Re: PartCombine

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: PartCombine
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 19:41:57 +0200

Am Montag, 16. Mai 2011, 12:12:58 schrieb Craig Bakalian:
> Hi,
>
> Am I reading this correctly- in the warning for using \partcombine
>
> \partcombine only observes onset times of notes. It cannot determine
> whether a previously started note is playing or not, leading to various
> problems.
>
> So this means if oboe 1 is playing sixteenth notes and then oboe 2
> enters into the staff and starts with quarter notes, will oboe 1 start
> to print quarter notes?  "It cannot determine whether a previously
> started note"?  "Various problems"?

No, it's actually the other way round:
Imagine a score where oboe 1 sets in with a whole note and oboe 2 has a
quarter rest and then sets in.
At the second quarter (when oboe 2 sets in), the part combiner no longer has
the information that oboe 1 is playing (since it only looks at onsets, but not
durations of notes), so it will only observe oboe 2 and mark it as solo...

Durations of notes are never changed, the part-combiner might just take the
wrong decision (one of these five: solo 1, solo 2, unison, displayed as chords
or apart).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886