Re: Slurs are better than ties at automatically avoiding collisions

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Slurs are better than ties at automatically avoiding collisions
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:23:51 +1000

On 10/04/11 22:09, Phil Holmes wrote:
"Nick Payne" <address@hidden> wrote in message news:address@hidden
See below. If I have a tie between the two Gs in the top voice, it
collides with the beam. If I fake the tie with a slur, it automatically
avoids the beam.

\version "2.13.58"

\relative c'' {
<< { g'2 ~ g }
    \\ { s1 }
    \\ { b,8 g a b ~ b a b a }
    \\ { g,2 g }

}

\relative c'' {
    \\ { s1 }
    \\ { b,8 g a b ~ b a b a }
    \\ { g,2 g }

}

Have you tested whether it actually avoids the beam better, or if it's not just simply placed differently anyway?
Yes, the slur really does avoid collisions much better. Here's png output from the actual score where I encountered the problem - all elements are being placed automatically with no overrides. When using a tie, it collides with the beam and the fingering. Replace the ties with slurs, and the slur is automatically displaced upwards from its normal location to avoid both the beam and fingering.

Nick