Re: Old English font for titles

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Old English font for titles
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 19:15:24 +0200

Am 2011-04-09 um 17:32 schrieb Laura Conrad:

1.  How to tell lilypond how to use a particular font for titles.

\header{
 title = \markup{\override #'(font-name . "Old English") "Your Title"}
}

It
   would be preferable to have a variable that I could set for all my
   files, so that saying:

For my setup I redefined the whole titling, see bookTitleMarkup in the paper block:
http://git.fiee.net/?p=lilystuff.git;a=blob_plain;f=global.ly;hb=HEAD

2. How to install an Old English like font onto my ubuntu 10.10 system
  that I can use the above trick on.  It looks like finding one should
  be easier than turning the hge.mf file I have into something that
  current lilypond could make use of, but so far I haven't figured out
  how to do either one.  Can anyone help?

Pango (LilyPond’s font library) should find every font that is installed "normally" in your system, so I guess your questions are:

- Where do I find a suitable font?
--> e.g. at dafont.com or any other of these free font sites. Or buy one at myfonts.com or any other vendor.

- How do I install a font on Ubuntu?
--> copy it into /usr/share/fonts/truetype (or similar) or ~/.fonts
--> it should also work to doubleclick that file and click "install"
--> see e.g. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=275202
You can also keep the font in the same directory as your lilypond score.

- How do I refresh Pango’s font database?
--> run fc-cache

HTH

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---