Re: Old version (2.6.5) Time signature before bar line?

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Old version (2.6.5) Time signature before bar line?
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 00:07:12 +0000

hello

James.

On 8 Apr 2011, at 23:53, "Ed Ardzinski" <address@hidden> wrote:

> It just seems odd that going back to the beginning of the repeat, back in
> 4/4, would not have any notification...

I don't think so. If you are repeating the bar then you are repeating the bar,
I.e. play whatever it was supposed to be the first time, else it isn't a
'repeat' is it?

If the intention was to play the repeated section in a different time sig than
it was played before the it isn't a 'repeat' and should be written out in full
without repeat bars.

You could also put a new time sig after the end of the second bar but before
the repeat as I'd expect a key sig change to be notated mid repeated section in
the same way. it's also not uncommon to add text to the bottom of the staff -
for instance many pieces I play have things like 'strings only on repeat' or
'tacet first repeat' etc.

If it's still ambiguous the you have to ask yourself if it is better written
out in full instead. Like you said it's only two bars. Clarity is more
important than saving a few inches of paper.

James