Re: defining melismas differently in different stanzas

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: defining melismas differently in different stanzas
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:01:20 -0400

njrees <address@hidden> writes:

> I searched first but didnt see this.
>
> Is there a way to define melismas  differently in different stanzas?
> I want to define a melisma where one syllable lasts for more than one note
> in only one of the stanzas. The only way I know to do this is to put
> \melisma and \melismaEnd in the voice definition in which case it will
> apply to all stanzas.

See section 2.1.3 of the Notation Reference:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/stanzas#stanzas-with-different-rhythms

Here is your example, with the correct melismata:

\include "english.ly"

<<
\new Voice = "misty" \relative c'' {
\key ef \major
{ c2 \times 2/3 { r8 \slurDotted g( af) } \times 2/3 { c ef g } }
}

\new Lyrics\lyricsto "misty" {
\set stanza = "1."
{ tree, \set ignoreMelismata = ##t and I \unset ignoreMelismata feel like I'm }
}

\new Lyrics\lyricsto "misty" {
\set stanza = "2."
{ play. It __ might be the }
}

You can, of course, replace the slur "(" and ")" with "\melisma" and
"\melismaEnd" if you don't like the visual slur.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)