Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:48:34 +0100

> Now, at the moment, Vivi doesn't create "good" music, and probably
> requires about 10 hours of learning.  I mean, you have to write a
> lilypond file (that could be between 1 and 5 hours, for simple music
> at least), and then if you know nothing about violin, you'd need to
> experiment a bit with slurs and articulations to hear how they sound.
> But she's only 4 months old, and I'd put her in a competition against
> 4-month-old human players any day.

"4-month-old" meaning 4 months of training.  And after that amount of
training, the competitions are for the fun of the players and the pride
of the parents (and nobody else actually bothers).

Vivi won't be having fun, and the other parents won't at least find her
adorable.

One of the reasons I used to sing in mixed choirs is that you get the
best place for listening to the music, and the best access to music.  I
have participated in quite more choir concerts than I have been
listening to.

Vivi will provide you with the joy and pride of a parent, not of a
performer.  And it will not feel that joy itself.  It will be equally
happy to play, and not to play.

I don't understand why it is an issue whether it plays better or worse
than humans, like I don't understand why it is an issue whether a
computer can be made to play better or worse than a human.  Or a car can
be made to run faster than a human.

The whole point is that a computer, left to its own devices, would never
think of playing the violin or chess.  It would sit in a corner and
rust.

--
David Kastrup