Re: Piano score and kneed beams

From: Peter O'Doherty
Subject: Re: Piano score and kneed beams
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:07:28 +0100

On 03/15/2011 09:54 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:

That's a bit weird.  The noteheads on the lower staff are the wrong way round!

Yes, it does look strange. It's the published score of Xenakis' Herma. Guess their typesetters couldn't deal with those stems either!

Anyway, if I was trying to set this within my knowledge of the limitations of LilyPond, I'd set the upper stave as it is, then use the instructions for Cross-staff stems in the Notation Reference to join the lower notes to the upper beams.

The problem is that the stems on the upper stave need to go down and those on the lower, up. Because of the alignment of the note heads the stems will not meet. I've also tried tweaking the code for the snippet of "Goyescas by Enrique Granados" but to no avail.

Best,
Peter