Re: Compile for Mac

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:44:32 +0000

Hello

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Holmes <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:03:35 +0000
To: Colin Campbell <address@hidden>, LilyPond User <address@hidden>

>>For the sake of clarity: are we saying that new contributors who run
>>linux
>>natively, as I do at home, or in a VM, as I do in the office, should also
>>be encouraged to run lilydev?  That seems a bit cumbersome, and if the
>>push to lilydev is intended only (or mainly) for non-linux using
>>contribs,
>>I'll put together a tweak to the CG to make that plain.
>>
>>Colin
>

>My understanding is that lilydev is for people like me - longtime
>windows/mac users who have never touched *nix before but need to be able
>compile using the native environment they're familiar wit

I am comfortable with LINUX and was using Lilydev while that first version
stagnated I tried later ubuntu versions using the CG to get the packages I
needed and it wasn't so bad.

Unless you are using your Linux machines for anything else other than
LilyPond or if for instance you use a different Linux Distribution and
don't want to clog up your own with LilyPond dev stuff, it's very easy.

Also LilyDev installs great on a netbook and still comes with enough
'stuff' to be useful as an email reader/word processor/web browser. Also
Ubuntu supports most 'modern' hardware out of the box (if you choose to
install it NOT in a VM).

So...

1. It's perfect for people like Phil (and myself)

2. It's just bloody convenient.
I. Install it on a VM
II. Run Lilygit.tcl - get my source
III. Create a build dir and three or four commands later I'm compiling.

I guess people might get precious about it being Ubuntu vs some other dist.

Also hosting it in a VM gives you added plusses of being able to easily
create snapshots via the VM Host, so when someone puts in that duff
checkin that breaks your current compile and you don't have the '5k1llz'
to git your head or hard reset your branch or whatever the devs do, I just
roll back to my last good snap, takes a few seconds - this alone has saved
me hours and hours of re-compiling.

James