Re: Compile for Mac

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Compile for Mac
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:20:11 +0100

Am 2011-03-12 um 17:24 schrieb James Lowe:

Hmm...on my rural internet connection this may be an issue, however I
assume I can download this stuff (say to a usb stick) and then use good old fashioned 'sneaker' net method to get the binaries on. I ask this in
case Apple require you to 'download it to the machine' than provide
separate binaries?

The developer tools are just one big dmg download, you can fetch that whereever and burn a DVD or the like.

Like say they do with their iOS updates?

Nothing to do with automatical updates.

Also when you run

'sudo port install [XYZ]' is that the same as doing a get-apt (I.e I need an internet connection for those commands or is that installing from the
Xcode stuff I would have downloaded and copied over)?

MacPorts is a project independent from Apple, but uses the compiler etc installed with Xcode. What you can download and install from macports.org is just a base system to be able to use the port command.
port is very similar to apt-get.
And yes, you need a good internet connection.

For further information please see http://www.macports.org/

Greetlings from Lake Constance
---
fiëé visuëlle