Re: Putting fret diagrams in a separate score

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Putting fret diagrams in a separate score
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:52:10 +0000 (UTC)

Marc Hohl <marc <at> hohlart.de> writes:

> I try to put fret diagrams at the beginning of a piece.
> My input file looks like this:
>
> <<
>      \new ChordNames \chordmode {
>        g:m
>      }
>      \new Lyrics \lyricmode {
>        \markup { \fret-diagram #"w:4;4-o;3-o;2-1;1-3;" }
>      }
>  >>

> Warning: staff-affinities  should only decrease

The new staff-spacing system has the concept of distinguishing staves from
lines that are attached to staves.  Both ChordNames and Lyrics are looking
for a staff in between them, so they can space themselves relative to it.
"staff-affinity" is the setting that controls which direction a line looks
for attachment.

For your case, let one of the non-staff lines become independent, with
\new Lyrics \with { \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = ##f }

That warning message is bad.  Can anybody suggest better than :
"
Warning: two adjacent non-staff lines ask to be spaced relative to a non-
existent staff between them; need to change staff-affinity.
"
(I checked the code to confirm that this describes the situation LilyPond
is trying to handle, and she makes a guess and effectively changes one staff
affinity.)