Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 00:54:31 +0100

2011/3/4 Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> > Thanks for sharing this! I'm looking forward to hearing Vivi perform
> > on a $1000 violin with a skill of a violinist with 5 years of
> > experience :)
>
> Well, playing on a $1000 (or even $1,000,000) violin is just a
> matter of getting a recording of somebody tapping on such an
> instrument.  Such recordings (I only need 12 milliseconds of a tap
> noise!) _are_ available online, but I haven't yet found a
> recording which stated that it was available under the GPL.  And
> since sound recordings are covered by copyright, I can't just take
> an existing one.  :(

Does this mean that Artifastring is already able to simulate violing
sounds so perfectly that everything is a matter of "teaching" it how
to do so?
I don't have much experience with violin, but judging by the audio
samples i thought that it could use some improvement (independently of
Vivi's playing skill improvement).
Regardless of this issue, i like Vivi's articulation. It doesn't sound
soulless as midi does.
Perhaps i'm underappreciating your work - sorry for that... I suppose
it's because i didn't learn bowed instruments myself.
Keep up the great work!

> I might work up the courage to send emails to those people and ask
> for permission to include their recording in Artifastring (i.e.
> place them under the GPLv3), now that I have a real example of how
> I'd use it.

Good luck then!

> Playing with a skill of 5 years will probably take me another
> 18-24 months to reach.  :)

That's three times faster than human - quite good :)
Good luck!
Janek