Re: Stem length

From: Hilary Snaden
Subject: Re: Stem length
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 01:57:24 +0000

James Lowe wrote:
I've been trying these to lengthen some stems to avoid collisions...

\override Stem #'(details beamed-lengths) = #'(5)
\override Stem #'length-fraction = #(magstep 3.5)

...but despite documentation to the contrary, non-integer values aren't
recognised, making it impossible to fine-tune the stem lengths. Is this
a known problem, or am I missing something?

It might depend on your example, do you have something you can post here?

The piece is a song with a fairly complex piano accompaniment. This is the troublesome bar. With no tweaks, the beam of the inner semiquavers is rendered on top of the lower head of the concurrent bes's. If I set magstep to values from 3 to 3.3, the results are identical, with the beam of the inner semiquavers still almost touching the head. If I set magstep to values from 3.4 to 4, the results are identical, but with the spacing too large (at least for my fussy aesthetics).

If I use \override Stem #'(details beamed-lengths) = #'(5) instead, a value of 5 to 5.1 give results similar to magstep = 3~3.3 (as described above) 5.2 to 6 are similar to magstep = 3.4~4.

\version "2.12.2"

\score {
  \new PianoStaff
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \relative bes' { \clef treble \key des \major \time 2/4
      << { <bes ges des>4 <bes bes,> } \\
{ s4 \override Stem #'length-fraction = #(magstep 3.5) aes='16( ges ees des) } >>
      } }
    \new Staff {
      \relative bes { \clef bass \key des \major \time 2/4
      <bes des,>4 ees,,16( bes' ees ges)
      } }

  }

I've just read Nick Payne's suggestion and found that this gives the result I was looking for:

\once \override Beam #'positions = #'(-5.5 . -6.5)

I'm posting my earlier findings in case they are of interest.

--
Hilary Snaden