Re: Beaming eighth notes in threes in 3/4 time

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Beaming eighth notes in threes in 3/4 time
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:35:33 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:37 AM
Subject: Beaming eighth notes in threes in 3/4 time

Shouldn't this example have the notes in the second bar beamed three
together and three together? What I'm getting is three, then one, then two:

\version "2.13.50"

\relative c' {
    \time 3/4
    c8 c c c c c
    \set beamExceptions = #'((end . (((1 . 8) . (3 3)))))
    c c c c c c
}

Nick

I'm no expert on this, but have just given the docs a good read, and the Notation Ref says:

"By default baseMoment is set to one over the denominator of the time signature" - so in this case, it's a quarter note. You're trying to set beams on eighth note boundaries, so it won't work. You also need to add \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'() to stop beamExcpetions taking over. That said, I still think there may be a bug here, and would welcome a comment from a beamMeister. The following gives the attached image:

\relative c' {
    \time 3/4
    c8 c c c c c
    \set Timing.baseMoment = #(ly:make-moment 1 8)
    \set Timing.beamExceptions = #'()
    \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(3 3)
    c c c c c c
    \set Timing.beatStructure = #'(0 3 3)