Re: lilypond speed

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: lilypond speed
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:19:07 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Tarenskeen" <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:42 AM
Subject: lilypond speed

Some day soon my still reliable but not very fast 10 year old laptop will have to be replaced by a more modern machine.

Will Lilypond benifit much if my next computer will have one of those modern multi-core processors like the Intel i3/5/7 ?

I'm just curious.

--

Martin

If you're using Windows, you definitely won't see an improvement with a multi-core machine. LilyPond is single-threaded, and so can only use a single core at a given time. It may be that your new machine will have more memory, and this is definitely beneficial for large scores, where Lily can take a lot of memory. Whether the processor will be faster depends solely on the processing power of _one_ of the cores of your new CPU versus the power of your old one.

--
Phil Holmes