Re: glissando without starting note

From: Phil Brooks
Subject: Re: glissando without starting note
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 00:05:05 +0000 (UTC)

James Bailey <derhindemith <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Perhaps something like this?
>
> {
>    g''1\breathe
>    \hideNotes
>    a'8*1/2
>    \noBeam
>    \glissando
>    \unHideNotes
>    a'' a''4 a''8 a''4 \bar "|."
> }

I found this example searching on the net -- it almost does what I want -- I am
having trouble adapting it to 2/4.  I can't quite figure out what the line:

a'8*1/2

is doing -- I see that it is an 8th note and its duration is being scaled, but
can't figure out how to change the scaling value for 2/4 -- it works fine in
4/4, but when I put it in 2/4, the measure placement is messed up from that
point on.

        \relative c' {
           \clef bass
           \key c \major
           \time 4/4
           f4 f4 f4 f4
           % 4/4 glissando thingy
           {
           \hideNotes
           a,8*1/2           % This works fine
           \noBeam
           \glissando
           \unHideNotes
           f''8-^\fz r8 r4 r2
           }
           \time 2/4
           f4 f4
           % 2/4 glissando thingy
           {
           \hideNotes
           a,8*1/4          % what do I put here and why?
           \noBeam
           \glissando
           \unHideNotes
           f''8-^\fz r8 r4