Re: Cross staff slur help

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Cross staff slur help
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:44:56 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a piece of piano music from the opening chorus of The
> Gondoliers that I'm struggling to get my head round.  A scan is
> attached.  It's a cross-staff slur, but my problem is that the music
> in the left hand is still continuing (the crochet F) while the slur is
> crossing the staves.  I can't work out a) how to start setting this in
> LilyPond or b) what it means in performance.
>
> Can anyone help?

It's a rising melody line starting in the left hand and moving to the
right.  The "music in the left hand" is _not_ "still continuing" in the
execution, but it would be silly to write an actual rest here while the
sustain pedal is down.

So that's probably a case for f4*1/4 in the input.

--
David Kastrup