Re: guitarist: how write chord names like Gadd5

From: Jan Warchoł
Subject: Re: guitarist: how write chord names like Gadd5
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 00:01:53 +0100

2011/2/1 Tim McNamara <address@hidden>

> Jazz guitarist and Lilypond user here.  I would call that a G(no 3rd)

I'd say that it's a Gsus chord. It means basically the same: a chord
with no third.
Usually the third is replaced by a fourth or a second:
Gsus2 = <g a d>,
Gsus4 = <g c d>,
So to me it seems perfectly natural to write
Gsus = <g d>.

LilyPond accepts g:sus as an input, but prints G as the name of the
chord, without "sus".

2011/2/3 David Raleigh Arnold <address@hidden>:
> The whole idea of chord names is that one "G" is the same as
> another. A few extensions have come in over the years, the most
> important being the slash bass.

So, because there is a need to distinguish between G and G/B (they
sound quite different!),
i'd say that there is a reason to distinguish between <g b d> and <g b d d'>.
I'd even say that it would make sense to write explicit treble notes
in superscript,
for example C^E would mean <c e g e'>.

> Either populate your score with diagrams or tab or write out what
> you want. There is no need to mess with the regular chord names.
> You will find that useless innovations which are doomed to
> obsolescence are not appreciated, and even less appreciated if
> they require explanation.

?
At least on the guitar, Gadd5, G5, G12 are self-explanatory!
In my opinion it's obvious that they mean: "add a fifth somewhere in
the treble range".

cheers,
Janek