Re: error in predefined chord diagram?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: error in predefined chord diagram?
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:00:58 -0700

On 1/29/11 12:02 PM, "bart deruyter" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed something strange in the predefined chord diagrams for guitar.
> While writing on my book for teaching guitar, I noticed the chord C#
> diminished is weird to say at the least. The fret diagram is very wrong I'm
> afraid :
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/predefined-fretboard-diag
> rams
> To be more precise, it shows the use of the third fret on the g-string. Last
> time I checked, this is A# or Bb. What does this do in C# diminished? Or am I
> so very mistaken?

The source for the chord is this:

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/Cxdim.asp

But my "The Gig Bag Book of Picture Chords for all Guitarists" lists that
same chord as C#dim7, but also says that dim and dim7 are alternate names
for the same chord.

According to Wikpedia, "In most sheet music books, Cdim or C0 denotes a
diminished seventh chord with root C. and Cm-5 or Cmb5 denotes a diminished
triad with root C.  However, in some modern jazz books and some music theory
literature, Cdim or C0 denotes a diminished tirad, while Cdim7 or C07
denotes a diminished seventh chord."

So at least from these references, there is a difference of opinion about
this notation.

If we can get agreement from the guitarists on the list about what is right,
we'll fix it to what is agreed.

> What should I do to fix this in my code?

Use \storePredefinedDiagram to store the diagram that you prefer for C#:dim.
See the notation reference for more information.

HTH,

Carl