Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Pentatonic Diatonic Transposition?
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:51:27 -0600

On Jan 23, 2011, at 6:21 AM, Patrick Schmidt wrote:

> nice work! I just think that the name modal transposition is a little
> misleading in this case. At first I thought that I could change the mode of a
> tune with your function e.g. transpose music from c\major to c\minor or
> something like that.

That's not changing the mode of a song.  That's changing the key.  C major has
no sharps or flats, C (natural) minor has three flats (C harmonic minor and C
melodic minor are special cases in terms of notation).

Modes are within a single key:  Ionian, Dorian, Phyrgian, Lydian, Mixolydian,
Aeolian, Locrian starting on the 1st through the 7th scale steps with in the
key, respectively.

> I just had the idea that it might be useful to add some more scales to the
> standard LP mode names (\ionian, \dorian ...) such as e.g. \majorPenta,
> \minorPenta. Maybe there's a way to extend your code and/or the function of
> the existing \transpose-command to also be able to do real modal
> transpositions such as e.g.
>
> <pseudo-code>
> \transpose c\ionian c\locrian \mymusic %or
> \transpose c\majorPenta c\minorPenta \mymusic % etc.
> \transpose c a \pentatonicmusic %or
> </pseudo-code>
>
> This way users wouldn't have to declare scales and when no modal change is
> intended  we could just use \transpose.

Changing from C Ionian to C Locrian is a key change, not a modal change.  C
Locrian is the seventh mode of Db major.

C major pentatonic is a different key than C minor pentatonic, the latter
having the same key signature as Eb.

Since "modal transposition" necessarily happens within a single key, I am not
sure that "transposition" is the correct terminology (IMHO modes are largely a
waste of time for performing musicians but that's a whole 'nother discussion
that doesn't belong here).