Re: instrumentName in StaffGroup

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: instrumentName in StaffGroup
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:56:02 +0100

On 14 January 2011 20:56, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> To be honest, I don't understand, why the Instrument_name_engraver is not
> added to all staff group contexts by default. It is a very simple engraver, so
> it would not induce much overhead. And it does not have any side effects. On
> the other hand, it happens regularly that you want a staff group to display an
> instrument name, too.
>
> I don't see any argument against adding the engraver also to all staff groups.
> (I'm already doing that in my orchestrallily package, so I can tell from my
> experience that I'm not running into any problem).
>
> From a user's point of view, if he sets an instrument name, he wants it to be
> shown, and if he doesn't set an instrument name, the engraver will not do
> anything, anyway.
> So, from that POV, the sane thing would be to add it to staff groups, too.

+1 too
Actually IIRC it was already asked as a request by some users (maybe it
was on the French user mailing list).

> Are there any objections from the other developers?

Not an objection (and I'm not a developer) but I just ran into an odd
side-effect (bug?) while helping a user on the French user mailing list.

instrumentName of one "staff group" also affect (apply to) identical
_nested_ staff groups.
This is unexpected (at least for me, but I suppose for "lambda" users
as well).

\score {
  \new StaffGroup \with {
    instrumentName = "Big"
  } <<
    \new Staff {
      c'1
    }
    \new StaffGroup \with {
      % instrumentName = ""  % need to be added, otherwise "Big" is
printed here too!
    } <<
      \new Staff {
        c'1