Re: Solfege Resources -- 404 bach chorales in Lilypond format with Movab

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Solfege Resources -- 404 bach chorales in Lilypond format with Movable Do solfege.
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 22:30:23 +0000

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 10:08:38PM +0100, Phil Hézaine wrote:
> Moreover, there are chorals which aren't changed from the Public Domain.
> I've checked some of it against my sources. Well, only a little bit.
> And i'm not sure of the data integrity of her typesetting.

Interesting.

> Then, why to claim a clause of copyright non-commercial without arguments?

Well, if she made any editorial changes, the result is not in the
public domain.  Arguably, even simply making unintentional "data
entry" changes could be enough for the result to be under
copyright.

> What a shame that Margaret Gentree is not on this list. We could have a
> better understanding. Are Barenreiter or Musica Budapest's sources
> closed?

Unless they created an "urtext" edition, then yes, the notes and
markings are under copyright.  Even if they created an "urtext"
edition, the actual layout of music on the page is under
copyright.  In the latter case, typing the notes into a text file
(for processing with lilypond) does not infringe copyright,
whereas making a photocopy would infringe.

> Could we use her work in a GNU app like GNU Solfege without
> infringements between the GPL and her license?

No.  GPL does not allow you to play additional restrictions on the
distribution of material; the CC-NC has an extra restriction ("no
commercial use").

> For now I plan to publish the 371 chorals from Breitkopf with a Free Art
> license,

Have you checked that the Breitkopf edition is free from
copyright?  Mutopia has a good short discussion about this:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/contribute.html

Cheers,
- Graham