centering the new Lyrics

From: Keith OHara
Subject: centering the new Lyrics
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:08:04 -0800

Dear engravers of lyrics,

The next version of LilyPond will handle empty spaces within lyrics differently.

If we have some adjacent lines of lyrics, version 2.12 collapses any empty
sections, so the set of lines collapses to the minimum vertical height.

The new system by default preserves the space for the empty sections[*], so
that the lines remain consistently spaced.   So far I have heard people want to
do two things:
(1) let interrupted lyrics collapse to a single line,
(2) perfectly center a line of lyrics between two staves.
The new system is very flexible, so we can do these things (attached). But the
new system is complicated, so I always forget and need to relearn how to use it.

I want to make a new snippet(s), or a shortcut command(s).  Do people really
want to do such things? What else? Is the attached .ly self-explanatory?
--
Keith

note[*] except between one line of Lyrics attached to the next staff #UP and
another line attached to the next staff #DOWN.  In this case LilyPond tries to
let the lyrics collapse, but there is a bug (issue 1309) that sometimes
prevents them from lining up perfectly.