Re: ways of using Lilypond?

From: Jethro Van Thuyne
Subject: Re: ways of using Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 12:51:50 +0000 (UTC)

Ludo Beckers:

> I guess I asked this question because I'm not sure whether or not I
> should first learn Lilypond syntax and then see if I want/need to use
> tools besides it.
>
> I asked about the combination vim-Lilypond sometime ago, but that would
> be 2 steep learning curves to tackle at once; a bit too much.
>
> btw Jethro, I see we're fellow countrymen :-) (Antwerpen here)
>
> Ludo

Also Antwerpen :)

I guess it would be most logical to first start learning Lilypond, using
a 'regular' text editor (nano, gedit, notepad...). Starting with a simple
template and adding the additional elements you need bit by bit, you'll
probably get to know the syntax quite quickly. The documentation is a
real blessing. The extra tools are still *extra*, they don't matter when
it comes to output.

Jethro.