notehead collisions in cluster

From: Jon W
Subject: notehead collisions in cluster
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:00:25 -0800 (PST)

Hi. I wrote a program in C that finds the solutions, if any exist, to a
compositional problem specified in the command line. One of the output
formats is lilypond. Some of the solutions involve clusters that lilypond
does not display very well--noteheads overlap vertically, making them
illegible, and accidentals collide, or are misplaced or missing, when a
chord has two notes on the same line or space of the staff. It would be hard
to make my program intelligent enough to respell these cases, and in any
case there will still be some dense cases that are impossible to spell in
such a way that you can notate the cluster the way lilypond tries to. Here
is an example of the lilypond output of my program when the input is the
chord 012b:

\layout {
  ragged-right = ##t
  \context {
      \Staff
      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      \remove "Bar_engraver"
\book {
  \score {
    <<
    \new Staff {
    \set Staff.instrument = "(012b)  "
    \set Staff.extraNatural = ##f
    #(set-accidental-style 'no-reset)
     { <c' a' bes' b'>1  <des' d' ees' c''>1  <e' cis'' d'' dis''>1  <f'
fis' g' e''>1  <aes' f'' ges'' g''>1 }

I uploaded an image as an attachment:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p30430768/collisions_example.png
collisions_example.png  To be sure this is somewhat of a pathological case
and I do not expect lilypond to be able to handle it gracefully by default.
Ideally the cluster would be rendered with more horizontal spacing so as to
avoid collisions. My question is, what does anyone suggestion as a practical
solution? What could I instruct my program to do, if it is about to output a
chord with two noteheads on the same line or space of the staff?

Thank you!  --Jon