virtualization software for windows

From: Graham Percival
Subject: virtualization software for windows
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 14:49:34 +0000

I'm looking at:
    http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/lilybuntu.html

We currently recommend VirtualBox Open Source Edition for lilypond
contributors.  However, the download page (no longer?) has binaries
available for the open-source edition:
    http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Has it always been this way?  Do our windows contributors just use the
non-open source edition of virtualbox?  Is there another webpage that
supplies compiled versions of the open-source edition?  (is this
something that changed after Oracle bought Sun?)

If somebody could clarify these points, it could help new lilypond
contributors get "up to speed" faster.  We'll all benefit if they
spend less time confused with technology, and more time working on
patches.

Cheers,
- Graham