RE: GPL vs. LGPL

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: GPL vs. LGPL
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:38:29 -0500

Hello,

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden on behalf of David Kastrup
Sent: Fri 11/26/2010 13:15
To: address@hidden

Feifan Zhou <address@hidden> writes:

> What was the reason for releasing Lilypond under the GPL rather than
> the LGPL?

Because it is not a library?  Have you _read_ the terms of the LGPL?
They don't make much sense for the Lilypond code base and don't actually
offer anything more than the GPL (other than complications) if you are
not talking about something _used_ as a library.

---

he mentioned iPad and so I assume he is (obliquely) referring to this kind of
thing:

http://www.fsf.org/news/2010-05-app-store-compliance

(there is another link within that thread that covers GPL not compatible with
App Store)

I don't pretend to understand the differences in the licensing - so don't 'have
a pop' at me if you think I am wanting a discussion - I don't but was just
trying to give some context, but I also believe we've covered this before (in
the last year) but I couldn't find the thread.

Regards

James