string_identifier into string? Was: Creating arbitrary lines (or other p

From: Andrew C. Smith
Subject: string_identifier into string? Was: Creating arbitrary lines (or other postscript things)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:34:31 -0500

> Thanks for this I have sent this example to LilyPond Snippet Repository (LSR)
> as I think this is a nice simple and clear way of how to do this for us
> lesser mortals.

Thanks, I'll probably be searching for it in a year or two...

I'm having yet more trouble, this time creating a music function. This function:

follower =
#(define-music-function (parser location switch) (string?)
#{
        \once \override VoiceFollower #'style = #'dashed-line
        \change Staff = $switch
#})

\follower "sTwo" g1

throws the error

<string>:3:24: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING_IDENTIFIER, expecting
STRING
        \change Staff =
                        \lilyvartmpb
/Users/acsmith/Documents/Creativity/LilyPond/Topology.ly:59:8: error: errors
found, ignoring music expression

        \new StaffGroup {

---

As far as I can see, this is just a normal text-replacement function. I googled
around though, and can't find much related to string_identifier aside from a
printout of the entire bison grammar specification for Lilypond, which wasn't
too helpful. How do I turn a string_identifier into a string?