Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: rests in polyphonic music - 'stems down, rests up'
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:31:19 -0700

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:25:12 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

Q: How Can i separate handling of rests from stem-directions in polyphonic
voice-handling?

Hello Anders,
   I would also have expected Rest 'direction to do what you asked.   It does
change the placement of rests in columns with only rests, but when there are
both notes and rests, the rests act as if they had the Stem direction.

This could be a bug, or there could be some non-obvious reason Lilypond needs
to behave this way.  If it still looks like a bug after you set the Prelude,
would you consider making a bug report ?

I recommend that you continue as you are with Rest 'direction, and whenever
Lilypond puts the rests in the wrong places, use pitched rests  {f''\rest c''
f''\rest c'' }

To let LilyPond do default voicing, leave out \new Voice :   << {r8 c'' r c''} \\ {c4
c} >>
I get very confused trying to figure out what happens when \new Voice  and  \\
are used together.