Re: chord with notes of different duration

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: chord with notes of different duration
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 15:50:30 +0200

"Marc Mouries" <address@hidden> writes:

> Tim Rowe <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> You've made the whole thing look like a quarter-note to Lilypond, but
>> persuaded it to show *you* the top note as a half-note. As far as
>> Lilypond is concerned, it's still a quarter note but printed "wrongly"
>> so it looks like a half-note. It still only occupies the time duration
>> of a quarter note, so the bar would be missing a quarter note without
>> the skip.
>>
>> Marc's suggestion is to do it the other way around and make the whole
>> thing look to Lilypond like a half-note, so the timing is all just
>> fine, but tell it to print the /lower/ notes "wrongly" so they look
>> like quarter-notes.
>
>> Does that make it clearer?
>

> Yes I got it but both ways are like a hack. It would be so much better
> and logical if lilypond would allow to enter individual duration for
> each note of a chord.  This would deserve to be added to the doc.

You mean, you'd like something like the following to work:

< <<c4 e4 g2>> >

But actually, something like
\new Voice { << g'4 c''4 e''2 >> }
works just fine modulo nonsensical warnings:

/tmp/junk.ly:1:25: warning: adding note head to incompatible stem (type = 4)
\new Voice { << g'4 c''4
                         e''2 >> }
/tmp/junk.ly:1:25: warning: maybe input should specify polyphonic voices
\new Voice { << g'4 c''4
                         e''2 >> }

Of course, the stems are perfectly compatible.

--
David Kastrup