Re: Beaming to rests over system breaks

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: Re: Beaming to rests over system breaks
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:07:50 -0700

Mike,
  My plan A was to specify the beam positions.  However, the beam insists on
staying horizontal regardless of the position override (probably for the same
reason that it didn't work to simply giving the rest a pitch).

  Plan B would be to use hidden notes.  If we put them a bit earlier in time
than the rest, there are no warnings, and the pitch of the hidden note can
slope the beam appropriately.  Plan B opens up some horizontal space, but that
might be a good thing around unusual notation.

I also made the first rest a r16*2/3 to squarely fill the first measure.
--
Keith

{ \override Staff.Stem #'stemlet-length = #0.60
  \override Beam #'breakable = ##t
  \relative c' {
    r16*2/3 \repeat unfold 40
    \times 2/3 {
%% plan A
%     \once\override Beam #'positions = #'(2 . 2)
%      f8[ g16\rest]
%% plan B
      f8[ \hideNotes a16*1/2 \unHideNotes a\rest]
%%