Re: how to invoke self-compiled development versions

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: how to invoke self-compiled development versions
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:16:13 +0200

On Sep 25, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Patrick Schmidt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using VirtualBox v.3.0.12 (the last release that supports Mac OS 10.4.11)
> and LilyBuntu. I downloaded the source code of the current development
> version with git to ~/lilypond-git and compiled it with "make all" as
> described in the manuals. So far so good!
>
> According to the CG (Concurrent Stable and Development Versions) in order to
> use the development version I have to:
>
>     …create a link to the binary in the source tree by saving the following
> line in a file somewhere in your $PATH:
>
>              exec <path to>/lilypond/out/bin/lilypond "$@"
>
> I saved the following file as Lilypond in ~/bin:
>
>      #!/bin/sh
>
>      exec ~/lilypond-git/out/bin/lilypond "$@"
>
> I made it executable with
>
>     chmod +x Lilypond
>
> But when I try to invoke it by typing: Lilypond I get the message:
>
>     command not found
>
> Where is my mistake? Is ~/bin not in my $PATH? If yes, how can I adjust this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers
>
> patrick

No. ~/bin is not in the $PATH by default. If you look at the 2.12 documentation
(I haven't started reading through the 2.13 documentatio)n, the end of the page
has:
Now, add this directory to your path. Modify (or create) a file called .profile
in your home directory such that it contains

    export PATH=$PATH:~/bin

This file should end with a blank line.

hope this helps