duplicate dynamics on same staff

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: duplicate dynamics on same staff
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:19:05 -0400

\version 2.13.31

When I put two voices on the same staff that have identical markings for dynamics and tempo, Lilypond prints them both, one above the other. Looking in the archives the other day I saw that the approved solution is to pull these markings out and attach them to another voice that is all spaces. Now I can't find those postings. They were from 2003 as I remember. Do we have multiple archives of the mailing list? Or maybe I should just go check myself into a nursing home. :(

Back to my original question: if Lilypond can see that one of these things needs to be moved, how hard  would it be to have it determine that they are identical and just not print one of them?

I don't even know whether this is a request for a new feature or for a pointer to an existing one.

thanks
Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
address@hidden        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I could care less.