Re: LilyPondTool users on Mac?

From: Seth Williamson
Subject: Re: LilyPondTool users on Mac?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:45:16 -0400

I want to thank everybody who has helped thus far in the saga of my getting the LilyPond/JEdit/LilyPondTool combo up and running.

Thanks to several people's suggestions, I think I got the permissions problem fixed.  I have no idea how I could have had permissions trouble in the first place, since I have always installed things exclusively as a user, but whatever.

I have now gotten as far as getting the combination set-up to display the little scale that is included as a test file for beginners in LilyPond.  It's titled simply "A scale in LilyPond" and it displays fine in the PDF displayer that I have docked to the right of the JEdit workspace.

HOWEVER, the latest problem is that I can't seem to get the PDF displayer to STOP showing me this scale, even when I attempt to put in new files to be compiled.

For example, a buddy suggested that I use the LilyPondTool Score Wizard to make another four-note scale.  FYI, I append the output it created below.  But I can't get it to display -- even though I have the new file in JEdit, I still see the original scale to the right.

Here's what I put in with the Wizard:

% Created on Fri Sep 10 11:36:20 EDT 2010
\version "2.12.3"

\header {
title = "Seth's Test Score"
 subtitle = "(suggested by Bob)"
  composer = "Seth Williamson"

}

staffTrumpetInC = \new Staff {
\time 4/4
\set Staff.instrumentName = "Trumpet in C"
\set Staff.midiInstrument = "trumpet"
\transposition bes,
\key c \major
\clef treble
\relative c' {
a b c d

\bar "|."

\score {
<<
\staffTrumpetInC

\midi {
}

  \layout {

\paper {
}

Here is what I think are the error codes the above code generated.  Anybody have any ideas what went wrong?

This is a console shell for running LilyPond and related commands. Enter %help to see the available special commands.
> %lilypond %args "/Users/hazelmotes/Downloads/Seth's Test Score.ly"
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 1: fg: no job control
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 2: version: command not found
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 4: header: command not found
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 5: title: command not found
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 6: subtitle: command not found
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 7: composer: command not found
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/lilypond: line 9: `}'
Processing time: 0 seconds

Seth Williamson

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Bernardo Barros <address@hidden> wrote:
The only problem I got was to get unicode support from jEdit.
Also Midi support did not work well with LilyPondTools AT ALL
The other regular things went well.